Scholarships and Financial Aid
The 2020-2021 Bumpers College Scholarship Application is currently closed.
The scholarship application process is open from January 1-February 15 every year.
Before applying, please read the instructions on the "How to Apply" tab they will lead you to the application portal.
For more information, contact Heather Parks (479-575-2596), Project Director for Scholarships and External Relations.
All Current, New Freshman, and New Transfers students are encouraged to apply.
Student who are changing their major to a major within Bumpers College must do so by February 12 for the purpose of scholarships. This includes incoming students;
Information for Current U of A Students, New Freshmen and New Transfers
- To apply for Bumpers College-Wide Academic scholarships:
- Complete the General Application before February 15, 11:59pm CST.
- Complete the Bumpers College Scholarship application by February 15, 11:59 CST. This application will only be recommended to you after you have submitted a complete General Application. .
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your e-mail address book, as some e-mail servers will block this address. The AcademicWorks system will send emails from this email address. Please check your spam/junk folder if you are not receiving them. You should also add the email address for Heather Parks email@example.com to your email address book as well
- You will need one letter of recommendation. It is highly recommended that you submit your recommendation request on the General Application early so that your recommender will have time to prepare your recommendation. You will be able to go back into AcademicWorks system and update your General Application if you are not ready to fully submit it at that time. Please provide the name and email address of your recommender when prompted on the application. Contact your recommender in advance and let them know that they will receive an automated email from the Academic Scholarship Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) asking them to submit their recommendation online directly into the application system. All recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, February 20,
- Current U of A Students: Your recommendation in the general section of the application must be from a faculty member, teaching assistant or academic advisor from the University of Arkansas who can speak to your academic abilities and potential.
- New U of A Students: Your recommendation may be from someone outside the University of Arkansas.
- Letter of Recommendation Etiquette:
- Make sure you ask your recommender before you submit their information
- Be respectful of their time. Give them at least 2 weeks to complete the letter before the deadline.
- A Résumé Template is available to help ensure you include all needed information.
- John Quincy Adams once said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” Please describe in which ways you anticipate that your education at the University of Arkansas will help shape your ability to become a leader to future generations.
- NOTE: You will only be directed to Bumpers College specific questions after the main application is completed – this includes uploading your essay, resume, and entering reference contact information.
TO ACCEPT A BUMPERS COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP PACKAGE:
- We encourage all recipients to use their scholarship offer as confirmation for all appropriate notifications to local news media, educational entities and interested organizations.
- A letter of appreciation (if required) written to the listed scholarship donor(s) must be submitted by July 1 to ensure the timely disbursal of scholarship funds. Please follow the guidelines provided for letters of appreciation. Funds will only be released to student accounts after all required letters of appreciation are received and approved. Letter Guidelines can be found at the bottom of this page.
- By August 1, recipients of new scholarship awards must log in to the Bumpers College Scholarship application to record their intent to accept or decline the scholarship offer.
- NOTE: Current students with renewable Bumpers College scholarships for which this is not the first year of the award do not have to record their intent to continue the scholarship.
- Student Ambassadors do not have to log in to record their intent to accept their Ambassador scholarship
- Recipients of Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences departmental scholarships will receive a departmental participation form through their uark email. This form must be completed and returned to the Bumpers College Scholarship Office.
- All materials should be returned in a single package to:
Bumpers College Scholarship Office
1 University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
All Bumpers College scholarship offers are made based on the information provided in the Bumpers College Scholarship Application. To remain eligible for offered scholarships, please note:
- All scholarship offers are considered “pending” until your eligibility has been confirmed and may be amended or rescinded if your eligibility changes. Verification of eligibility includes, but is not limited to, verification of a maintained cumulative grade point average and current-year FAFSA information.
- Unless otherwise stated, scholarship funds will be applied directly to your student account, half per semester, pending confirmation of the stated criteria and provided you are enrolled in a Bumpers College degree program as a full-time undergraduate student with a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. Any exceptions to the number of hours required are noted in the scholarship criteria.
- Bumpers College scholarships and associated departmental scholarships will be withdrawn if you change your major outside the Bumpers College, or if the information provided at the time of application has changed such that you are no longer eligible for a scholarship; or may be adjusted if you receive additional financial aid totaling more than the cost of attendance as defined by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Departmental scholarships will be withdrawn if you change to a major outside the awarding department.
- Your spring payment is contingent on your continued full-time enrollment in the same degree program.
- If you will be graduating in December or do not need full-time hours to graduate in your final, graduating semester, please contact the Bumpers College Scholarship Office immediately.
- By accepting this scholarship package, you agree to have your picture taken by our Communications Department, at a date to be determined, for use by the Bumpers College Scholarship Office and to participate in scholarship activities as your academic schedule permits.
STEP 1 - COMPOSE YOUR LETTER OF APPRECIATION:
- Letters of Appreciation must:
- NOT include your address or date
- Be TYPED
- Have 1” margins
- Do not create stationery that includes the college or university logos. Only blank paper or non-college stationery will be accepted.
- Be one page in length
- Single-spaced with double spacing between paragraphs
- Do not indent the first lines of paragraphs
- Use a 10pt or 12pt font (Times New Roman preferred)
- Be error free (spelling, grammar, correct college name, correct scholarship name, and correct donor)
- Note the college name is: Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences or Bumpers College
- Follow this format:
- Salutation – “Dear name” – Donor first names are not included in the salutation.
- Paragraph 1 – Express your appreciation to the donor for your financial assistance through the scholarship. INCLUDE the CORRECT, FULL name of the scholarship (See award letter). DO NOT include the scholarship value; instead, use a general thank you for this “generous gift,” “wonderful scholarship,” “much appreciated assistance,” or a similar phrase.
- Paragraph 2 – Tell the donor about you. What year you are at the UofA (incoming freshman, new transfer student, junior, etc.), your major, your hobbies, other interests. New freshmen include what high school you are graduating from and in what activities you have been involved.
- Paragraph 3 – Tell about your future plans: what career you want to pursue, if you want to study abroad, or if you want to earn an advanced degree
- Paragraph 4 – Thank the donor again. Let them know how important this scholarship is, and if you hope to help future students through scholarship donations after you begin your career.
- Closing and Name – Leave enough blank space for your signature to be placed between the closing and your typed name.
STEP 2 - SUBMIT YOUR LETTER FOR REVIEW:
- Email your letter as a .doc or .docx attachment to Heather Parks , Project Director for Scholarships and External Relations By May 1st
STEP 3 - SIGN and MAIL YOUR LETTER:
- You will receive your reviewed letter of appreciation via email from Bumpschl@uark.edu. Within one week, print your reviewed letter on 8 ½” x 11” plain paper.
- Sign this copy with blue or black ink
- Bring the signed letter to the Bumpers College Deans' Offices in AFLS E202, or mail the signed letter to:
Bumpers College Scholarship Office
1 University of Arkansas, AFLS E202
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Scholarships for students in agriculture and human environmental sciences are made possible by generous gifts from many firms and individuals. The criteria for these scholarships include academics, financial need, interests, organizational involvement, etc.
By completing the online Bumpers College scholarship application, you will be considered for all of the following scholarships except those requiring a Separate Application.
Eligible applicants must be majors within the School of Human Environmental Sciences (specific majors noted as applicable) and meet the following criteria:
|Ethel Owen Adair||Completed 3rd year of college; Upper class quartile; Financial need|
|Lucile Bates Cobb Beling||no additional criteria|
|Flossie Boles Endowed Home Economics||Preference to students from rural background and financial need; Additional preference to students involved with 4-H|
|Beatrice S. Bryson||no additional criteria|
|Carnall Hall Alumni||Hospitality Innovations majors; 2.50 or higher cumulative grade point average|
|Hazel Owen Dahms||Juniors and Seniors majoring in Apparel Merchandising and Product Innovations|
|Jo P. and Bill T. Dalton Endowed||Residents of Washington, Benton and Franklin counties in Arkansas|
|Virginia Ferguson Memorial||Active member of Phi Upsilon Omicron|
|Food, Human Nutrition and Hospitality||Hospitality Innovations majors|
|Gerber Endowed Scholarship in Pediatric Nutrition & Food Science||
Preference to students studying in food related fields with an emphasis on pediatrics; Food Science and Human Environmental Sciences majors
|Irma Fitch Giffels||Scholastic talent; Financial need|
|Rebecca Sholley Gifford Memorial||Juniors and Seniors active in Phi Upsilon Omicron;|
|Bobbye Jo Shepherd Halbrook Memorial||Completed at least two years of college credits; Human Development and Family Sciences majors with Child Development concentration|
|Harold and Iva Hicks Endowed||Agricultural Business, Crop Science, and Human Environmental Sciences majors|
|Hilliard and Eloise Jackson||Arkansas residents; Agricultural Business or Human Environmental Sciences majors; First preference to residents from Crawford or Franklin counties in Arkansas|
|Juanise Scoggin Johnson Memorial||no additional criteria|
|J.L. and Virginia P. Lancaster Endowed||Preference to upperclassmen; Preference to financial need|
|Inez Meadors McNeal||Juniors or Seniors; Human Development and Family Sciences majors with Child Development pr Birth through Kindergarten concentrations|
|Xzin McNeal Endowed||2.50 or higher cumulative grade point average|
|Murphy Foundation Endowed||Indicated career in culinary arts; 3.00 or higher cumulative grade point average; Preference to NWACC culinary graduate; Food Science majors also considered|
|Lorena Petermann Neumann Home Economics||Upperclassmen; Scholastic merit; Financial need|
|Eula M. Noyce Endowed||Juniors or Seniors; Human Development and Family Sciences majors|
|Emily-Jane Parette Memorial||Human Nutrition and Hospitality Innovations majors; Financial need; Preference to students who contribution to the diversity of the student body|
|Inez Sitton Endowed||no additional criteria|
|Hazel Taylor Spitze Freshman Scholarship||Human Development and Family Sciences majors; Incoming freshmen with a 3.00 or higher grade point average|
|Anna Pearl Rose and Martin Stevens Stauber, Sr. Endowed||Non-traditional students|
|Manila and Alfred Taylor||Entering freshmen or undergraduates returning after two years of interruption to studies; Interest in public service career; 3.00 or higher grade point average|
|John W. White Scholarship in Home Economics||Sophomore or Junior; Financial need|
|Other Scholarships and Financial Aid||